Saturday, September 22, 2012

Oh, Children.

          Today I was going through very old text messages in my cell phone because several months ago I stopped succumbing to my obsessive compulsive nature to delete everything after about a month, and have just been letting them accumulate. They go back quite a ways, especially the messages between me and Tom, naturally. I reminisced a little, reading through them.
          Anyway, this isn't about the number of old text messages on my cell phone. This is about a story I texted to Tom back in February that I thought was funny, so I thought I'd tell you all about it, too.
          In February of this year I was working at Nine West still. One day a nice little family came in--dad, mom, and five-year-old girl. The mom began shopping while the dad entertained the daughter so she didn't wreak havoc or find the basket with the little nylons and try to put them over her head and face, which many five-year-olds did. Well, the little girl decided she wanted to shop for shoes as well, so dad humored her and followed her around while she looked for something she fancied. Before long she became a little frustrated that nothing was her size and grumbled about the terrible selection. Her dad, his attention mostly elsewhere, kept saying "Mm-hmm," but paid little attention to her complaints. She was able after several minutes to get his attention.
          "Help me find a pair of beautiful kid's shoes!" she ordered sternly.
          "I don't think they have kids' shoes here, sweetie," he said, somewhat meekly. The girl rolled her eyes in exasperation and shouted at him,
          "Look everywhere you ding-dong!"

          It surprised and amused me. That's all.

2 comments:

  1. I miss the days when "ding-dong" was a legitimate insult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be rough having a ding-dong for a dad.

    ReplyDelete