Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Now Hiring

          I said to my sister the other day that it's probably for the best that I didn't have a life before having a baby, because there was no painful transition to go through once I found myself cooped up at home every day. Since I'm no longer working I see no one on a regular basis anymore except Tom and Apollo and yes, they're my favorite people, but the inactivity makes me kind of crazy sometimes. I can't imagine how much worse it would be if I had been a party-goer or very active in the past.
          I suddenly realize how much I valued the level of social interaction I got from working full time. Now I find myself looking forward to going anywhere. Anywhere. Out for a walk. Out to the grocery store. Out to church. It doesn't matter where, as long as I get to be outside and/or see people. And if I get to talk to them too, well, that takes everything to a whole new level.
          The problem with me is I don't like looking for friends. I love having friends, but naturally my best friends live nowhere near me anymore and I always feel a little dumb putting myself out there to find new ones. "Becoming friends" can be such an awkward process when you're starting from scratch. Okay, I like you...you know, like a friend...yeah, we get along okay. We feel the same about some junk. I don't think you loathe me...so, now I have to suggest seeing each other again. But I don't want to come on too strong...I know how it is when people I don't care about try to befriend me. Now I have to see if you want to see me again, but to do it without sounding like I need a friend as badly as I do. Needing a friend sometimes scares friends away. As I know from experience.
          "YOU WANNA HANG OUT AGAIN TOMORROW? WANNA COME TO MY BIRTHDAY THIS WEEKEND?? ASK YOUR MOM IF WE CAN HAVE A SLEEPOVER AT YOUR HOUSE TONIGHT." 






          Soooo instead of reaching out and finding other people, I sit around inside merely considering finding other people. (Another problem of mine is that I'm lazy and I procrastinate. Well, that's two problems I guess. And a third one, I'm terribly picky. About everything. Well, not food. Everything except food. But that includes friends, unfortunately. But maybe that's a good thing.) People want to find like-minded friends, so my friends will inevitably have to be married couples or moms or people at the same spiritual, mental, or emotional place/s as me in life.
          Oh well, for the time being it's just looking forward pathetically to mundane outings. It's hard to force these things. I like to let them happen naturally.
          And at least my sister and the in-laws are nearby and I visit with them sometimes. They're pretty great.

5 comments:

  1. I totally could have written this post. Why is making new friends so HARD? Perhaps because I have so many requirements: Catholic; mom, preferably of kids the same ages as mine; shares my parenting opinions; shares some of my other opinions and interests; not too shy or awkward, but not so talkative I don't get a word in edgewise; as needy as I am, but no needier. She also must live within walking distance of my house or not mind doing all the traveling to come see me.

    Yeah, okay, now I know why I have so few mom friends. At least I do still have my pre-mom friends, even if I never see them.

    P.S. I came over from Mary Beth's blog. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welllll now that it's been 22 days, let me finally reply to you, first by saying thanks for commenting (it's always nice to know SOMEONE read what you wrote), and second by saying great to hear from you! It's been a long time. How are you? Now it's my turn to read your blog/s. In roughly 3 weeks when I finally get around to it, I'll share my thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sister, you may come over to my house WHENEVER you like. Even if I'm not there, my roommates will make you feel right at home (though they might steal your son, at least for a little while). Seriously, I love hanging out with you.

    So do most people. I don't think anyone would run in the other direction if you asked them to come over or go to lunch or make a "play date." People genuinely enjoy your company. So...for what that's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm doing pretty well. I was just thinking I had this mom thing down, and then I had another one, so I'm back to square one. It's fun though.

    Incidentally, did you know one of your sisters-in-law is one of my best friends? We also look alike, lol. Can't wait for her wedding -- you'll be there, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sister: Thank you! I will remember your offer.

    Sheila: Lol, I expect that's how it'll be for me as well. I have one baby so I'm totally an expert forever, right?
    Yes I did know that you and Betsy are good friends! Funny how worlds collide, huh? I will be at the wedding, so I'll see you there!

    ReplyDelete